Our sweet Oscar was the friendliest, most loving and calm dog you’d ever met. My husband and I gave him only what we thought was the best for him to insure he would have a long and happy life with us.
In late August of 2011, he suddenly couldn’t keep water or food down and became lethargic. I immediately took him to his vet and after an x-ray, was referred to an internal medicine specialist. After many tests, images and even multiple plasma transfusions, no one could say for certain what the problem was. He stayed at the hospital for a total of two weeks and I visited him every single day. During one of my last visits, he gave me a look that told me he loved me with all his heart and that he was ready to go. It was heartbreaking, but there was no mistaking the look he gave me. I agreed to put him to sleep and do exploratory surgery. I had to find out the cause of all this. The results came back and I was told he had severe pancreatitis.
I was feeding him chicken jerky treats from China, from a company that has been identified as one of the main culprits. The main ingredients in the treat were chicken and flour. I think it only had a total of 3-4 ingredients and sounded very safe and wholesome. I really thought I was giving him a quality treat, but I was slowly poisoning him and didn’t even know it.
My husband and I now have four dogs. Pico and Dulce are chihuahuas, Lacey is a Jack Russel terrier and Pixie is a Yorkie. When Pico was just a puppy, I searched for a natural and limited ingredient treat. I bought a 5 oz. bag of sweet potato chips, only to find out that he didn't even like it! I then realized I had just paid $5.69 for about half of a sweet potato that wasn't even organic. I laughed at myself and thought, "I can make something way better than this that's organic and human grade."
I started making treats using organic whole chicken breasts and vegetables from the grocery store, the same food that my husband and I eat. I’m an avid reader of pet health articles and believe prevention is the key to a long and healthy life. Based on my experience with pets I’ve had in the past, their ailments and causes of death, I wanted to create treats with supplements that would help prevent or delay some of these issues.
All of the ingredients in my treats are safe for dogs and cats. Death is inescapable, but if our pets can have a little more time with us and have the best quality of life possible, then it’s all worth it.
The ingredients I use in each of my recipes are organic and/or human grade. These are the same ingredients I feed my own family and each order is made fresh. They do not sit around for days, weeks, or months. All of the other ingredients are organic, human grade and/or beneficial for dogs and cats. I only use items I personally would eat or feed to my own chis. Believe it or not, my husband and I have tasted each of my treats. It's not something we would snack on, but my dogs and my customers' pets LOVE them!